The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 2 August 2023 – Keeping His Principles
TOPIC: Keeping His Principles
READ: Proverbs 19:13-29 (NKJV)
- A foolish son [is] the ruin of his father, And the contentions of a wife [are] a continual dripping.
- Houses and riches [are] an inheritance from fathers, But a prudent wife [is] from the LORD.
- Laziness casts [one] into a deep sleep, And an idle person will suffer hunger.
- He who keeps the commandment keeps his soul, [But] he who is careless of his ways will die.
- He who has pity on the poor lends to the LORD, And He will pay back what he has given.
- Chasten your son while there is hope, And do not set your heart on his destruction.
- [A man of] great wrath will suffer punishment; For if you rescue [him,] you will have to do it again.
- Listen to counsel and receive instruction, That you may be wise in your latter days.
- There are many plans in a man’s heart, Nevertheless the LORD’s counsel — that will stand.
- What is desired in a man is kindness, And a poor man is better than a liar.
- The fear of the LORD [leads] to life, And [he who has it] will abide in satisfaction; He will not be visited with evil.
- A lazy [man] buries his hand in the bowl, And will not so much as bring it to his mouth again.
- Strike a scoffer, and the simple will become wary; Rebuke one who has understanding, [and] he will discern knowledge.
- He who mistreats [his] father [and] chases away [his] mother [Is] a son who causes shame and brings reproach.
- Cease listening to instruction, my son, And you will stray from the words of knowledge.
- A disreputable witness scorns justice, And the mouth of the wicked devours iniquity.
- Judgments are prepared for scoffers, And beatings for the backs of fools.
The latter part of Proverbs Chapter 19 (verses 13-29) centres on principles of listening, obeying and giving. It reveals three categories of people. First, the young ones who desire to live long must listen to their parents’ instructions, and obey God’s commandments (verses 13, 20, 23,26).
Second, God shun laziness. Society is not responsible for those who refuse to work for their own food. And if a person is too lazy to feed himself, then others are not obligated to do it for him (verses 15, 24). Third, it is certain that the poor cannot be eradicated from society; God relies on people who can lend to Him while meeting the needs of the poor (verses 17, 22-23)
Support the Good work on this Blog Donate in $ God Bless you[jetpack_subscription_form title="GET FREE UPDDATE VIA EMAIL" subscribe_text="JOIN OTHER CHRISTIANS GET UPDATE BY EMAIL" subscribe_button="Sign Me Up" show_subscribers_total="1"]
Brethren, it is good to If parents do not discipline their children while they are young, it will be too late to discipline them when they are old. Parents are encouraged to take up their primary task by training the young ones in the way of the Lord (verse 18). A well trained child would learn how to behave in society, would not be lazy or become bad influence on the society.
He would also learn to trust God to choose his/her heart desires. Lastly, he/she would always consider putting his/her plans first according to the will of God. By so doing, such a person will live a meaningful life.
PRAYER: Teach us O Lord, to put You first in our plans, and to keep Your commandments, so that we may enjoy our lives here on earth and in eternity, in Jesus’ name Amen.