Table of Contents
Support the Good work on this Blog Donate in $ God Bless you[jetpack_subscription_form title="GET FREE UPDDATE VIA EMAIL" subscribe_text="JOIN OTHER CHRISTIANS GET UPDATE BY EMAIL" subscribe_button="Sign Me Up" show_subscribers_total="1"]
RCCG JUNIOR ZEAL FOR 2022/2023
SUNDAY 25TH OF JUNE, 2023
LESSON FORTY THREE (43)
TOPIC: SUSTAINING THE FIRE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT 5 (THROUGH PURITY AND HOLINESS)
BIBLE TEXT: 1 Peter 1:15-16; 2 Corinthians 7:1; Romans 12:1
1 Peter 1:15-16
But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
2 Corinthians 7:1
Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
MEMORY VERSE: 1 Pet 1:16 “Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy”
LESSON AIM: To understand why remaining holy and pure is significant in sustaining the fire of the Holy Spirit.
CENTRAL TRUTH: Being holy is not an option for a Christian, you are to walk on the path of holiness and righteousness at all times.
INTRODUCTION: Holiness is the state of being holy, a life that is set apart, and total devotion to God. Being pure means total abstinence from sin. Being pure and holy is part of sustaining the fire of the Holy Spirit. Maintaining holiness comes as a challenge to many. But as Children of God, He has given us the grace and power to work on the path of holiness. We will explore this and much more in today’s lesson. [2 Corinthians 12:9]
A) HOW IS HOLINESS/PURITY IMPORTANT IN SUSTAINING THE FIRE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT?
1. It pleases Him: Sin grieves the Holy Spirit. But holiness and purity please Him [Ephesians 4:30]
2. It makes one sensitive to the Holy Spirit: The more a person stays in disobedience to God, the less sensitive he becomes to the Holy Spirit, drifting farther and farther away. But if a person stays in purity and holiness, they are sensitive and conscious of the guidance of the Holy Spirit. [1 Thessalonians 5:19]
3. It makes us useful and effective vessels of the Holy Spirit for God’s purpose: A pure person is a suitable vessel for the Holy Spirit to do the work of God. Working for God is part of keeping the fire of the Holy Spirit burning, and how can we be of service if we are not pure vessels?
It is therefore important to remain a pure vessel. (2 Timothy 2:20-26).
4. It makes you stronger: A person who consistently lives in obedience to God’s word and maintains purity becomes stronger in his walk with the Holy Spirit. He becomes more mature, knows what he ought and ought not to do, and is less susceptible. He shall not be moved [Psalm 15:2-6]
B. HOW CAN WE MAINTAIN HOLINESS/PURITY?
1. By studying the Word: The word of God tells us what to do and what not to do. Consistent study of the word also influences our minds and actions, helping us to remain in obedience to the word of God. [Psalm 119:91
2. Prayer: Prayer builds us up and provides a way out of temptation. Also, we pray to God to help us live holy. His grace is sufficient for us [Matthew 26:41, Philippians 4: 13]
3. Avoid consuming ungodly things: The world is polluted with ungodly things, on social media, television, books, magazines e.t.c. We must abstain from such things to avoid their ungodly influence on our thinking and behavior (Romans 12:2).
4. Abstain from sexual immorality: Abstain from all forms of sexual immorality whether it is fornication, adultery, pornography, or engaging in perverse talks. [1 Corinthians 6:13, Hebrews 13:4, 1 Corinthians 6: 18].
5. Be alert and conscious: Be alert, let your focus remain on God, and do not be distracted in your walk with God because the devil is roaming looking for who to devour [1 Peter 5:8].
6. Self-control and Resilience: It is important to have self-control at all times. It is also important to be strong and enduring, not give up on God and take a path that will cause you to sin[1 Corinthians 10:13].
7. Repentance: When we err or fall into sin, we can ask for forgiveness, pick up and continue in our walk with God. [1 John 1:91]
8. Love: The love of God causes you not to sin against him but to do his will and please him. Also if you love your neighbor, you will not desire to do evil to them. [John 14:15, 1 John 5:3, Romans 13:8-10, 1 John 2:3-6]
C.) ACTS OF HOLINESS/ PURITY
– Sexual abstinence until marriage and faithfulness to one’s spouse.
– Obeying the voice of God
– Godly love
– Self-control e.t.c.
DISCUSSION: If a Christian sins, does the Holy Spirit leave him?
LIFE APPLICATION: From now on, in every aspect of our lives; whether school, at home, in church e.t.c, we should endeavor to live in Holiness and purity all times to keep the fire of the Holy Spirit burning and grow in our walk with Him.
CONCLUSION: We have established the significance of holiness in sustaining the fire of the Holy Spirit. Overall, it is important to note this cannot be done with human strength alone. Pray that God helps you and gives you the grace to live holy. With the help of God, a holy and pure life is POSSIBLE!
Ask them – What did they learn in today’s lesson?
How can they apply this to their lives?
Let them put their prayer points here: