Table of Contents
STUDENT MANUAL RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL 14 OCTOBER 2018
TOPIC: CHRISTIAN DISCIPLESHIP [RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL STUDENT MANUAL 14 OCTOBER 2018]
MEMORY VERSE: “Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.” – 1 Corinthians 11:1 (scroll down for STUDENT MANUAL RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL 14 OCTOBER 2018 HYMN)
BIBLE PASSAGE: Luke 5:1-11 (STUDENT MANUAL RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL 14 OCTOBER 2018)
1 And it came to pass, that, as the people pressed upon him to hear the word of God, he stood by the lake of Gennesaret,
2 And saw two ships standing by the lake: but the fishermen were gone out of them, and were washing their nets.
3 And he entered into one of the ships, which was Simon’s, and prayed him that he would thrust out a little from the land. And he sat down, and taught the people out of the ship.
4 Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught.
5 And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net. STUDENT MANUAL RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL 14 OCTOBER 2018
6 And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.
7 And they beckoned unto their partners, which were in the other ship, that they should come and help them. And they came, and filled both the ships, so that they began to sink.
8 When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord.
9 For he was astonished, and all that were with him, at the draught of the fishes which they had taken:
10 And so was also James, and John, the sons of Zebedee, which were partners with Simon. And Jesus said unto Simon, Fear not; from henceforth thou shalt catch men.
11 And when they had brought their ships to land, they forsook all, and followed him.
INTRODUCTION: STUDENT MANUAL RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL 14 OCTOBER 2018
A true Christian (not one by name only) is expected to be a disciple of Christ. However, not all Christians are willing or ready to make the commitments of a disciple (John 6:66; Matthew 19:21-22). We, therefore, need to examine who a Christian disciple should be and how to become one.
1. Who is a disciple?
2. How to become a Christian disciple
WHO IS A DISCIPLE
The Greek term for ‘’disciple’’ in the New Testament is mathetes, which means more than just ‘’student’’ or ‘’learner’’. A disciple is a ‘’close follower’’, someone who adheres completely to the teachings of another, making them his rule of life and conduct. One who accepts and assists in spreading the doctrines of another. Christian discipleship begins with the new birth and it requires one to exercise his will to follow Jesus (Matthew 9:9; Luke 5:10-11). Christian discipleship is the process by which disciples grow in Christ and are equipped by the Holy Spirit, who resides in our hearts, to overcome the pressures and trials of this present life and become more and more like Christ (Mark 8:34; Philippians 3:10-12). STUDENT MANUAL RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL 14 OCTOBER 2018
HOW TO BECOME A CHRISTIAN DISCIPLE
According to Scriptures, being a Christian disciple involves personal growth characterised by the following:
1. Personal decision to follow Christ (Luke 9:23; 14:26-27).
2. Putting Jesus first in all things (Mark 8:34-38). The disciple of Christ needs to be set apart from the world. We must put off self-centeredness and put on Christ-centeredness.
3. Following the teachings of Jesus (John 8:31-32). We must be obedient children and doers of the word (John 14:15; 15:14).
4. Total commitment and sacrificial living (Luke 14:33; Philippians 3:6-8; Matthew 16:24).
5. Abiding in Christ in order to produce the fruit of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) which makes one Christ-like.
6. We are to share our faith and tell non-believers about the wonderful changes Jesus Christ has made in our lives (Matthew 28:18-20). Irrespective of our level of maturity in the Christian faith, we have something to offer.
Do not follow Jesus from afar, strive to be a close follower.
1. Who is a Christian disciple?
2. How can you become one?
STUDENT MANUAL RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL 14 OCTOBER 2018 HYMN
1. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
O how I love Thee well,
I am happy, it makes me glad
To rejoice at Thy birth.
2. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day, Thy friendship suits me well,
Both young and old will sing Thy song,
We long for Sunday School.
3. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Christ was Thy first teacher,
The Holy Spirit, great teacher,
Does manifest in thee.
4. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
This testimony is sure,
That God, the Father Almighty,
Poured His blessing on Thee.
5. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
Though the sun be so bright,
Or if the clouds black with rain,
I’ll be in Sunday School.
6. O Sunday School, on the Lord’s day,
I rejoice to see Thee,
Will thou pass over me today?
Without my being blest?
STUDENT MANUAL RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL 14 OCTOBER 2018