The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 9 May 2019 – Be A Son, Not A Slave
TOPIC: Be A Son, Not A Slave
READ: Galatians 4:1-7 New King James Version (NKJV)
- Now I say that the heir, as long as he is a child, does not differ at all from a slave, though he is master of all,
- but is under guardians and stewards until the time appointed by the father.
- Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world.
- But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law,
- to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons.
- And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, “Abba, Father!”
- Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.
A slave has no liberty or a say in vital issues! A slave can be seen but not heard; he has no freedom. in short, a slave is in bondage under guardians and custodians. Obviously, sinners are slaves. He that commits sins is of the devil, who comes to steal, kill and destroy. This class of slaves may operate in self-righteousness but are far from the righteousness of God in Christ.
Likewise before Jesus saved us by grace, we were slaves to sins in bondage, and slaves to the elemental spirits of the universe. But when the time came, Jesus redeemed us so that we might receive adoption as sons. As sons, God sent His Spirit into our hearts (Colossians 2:13-15).
To be sons of God, there is an urgent need that we must be born again, regenerated, sanctified and washed in the Blood of the Lamb. Those that believe in Christ and receive Him, He gives power to become the sons of God (John 1:12). We must open our hearts and allow Jesus to occupy us (Revelations 3:20). In Jesus Christ, we are no longer slaves, but sons; heirs of the kingdom.
Prayer: O Lord, deliver us from any bondage of slavery and make us Your sons in Jesus Name.