Table of Contents
The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria
(Anglican Communion) 24 May 2019 – Armed For Suffering
TOPIC: Armed For Suffering
READ: 1 Peter 4:1-6 King James Version (KJV)
- Therefore, since Christ suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same mind, for he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin,
- that he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh for the lusts of men, but for the will of God.
- For we have spent enough of our past lifetime in doing the will of the Gentiles—when we walked in lewdness, lusts, drunkenness, revelries, drinking parties, and abominable idolatries.
- In regard to these, they think it strange that you do not run with them in the same flood of dissipation, speaking evil of you.
- They will give an account to Him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.
- For this reason the gospel was preached also to those who are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
GET FREE UPDDATE VIA EMAIL
Our text today reveals that Christ suffered in the flesh as a human, so we too must have the same mind-set as Christ (see Philippians 2:5). We must arm ourselves to suffer to end sin as well as fleshly desires in order to be guided by the will of God.
After all, we have sinned enough in the past, living like pagans, but now, we must stop sinning and live righteously in Christ. This new life in Christ will bring us insults from unbelievers who are surprised that we no longer join them in sinful living. However, we know that these people will give account to God who is the Judge of both the living and the dead.
Concluding Thoughts: We have clothed ourselves with the attitude of Christ and have parted ways with our past life of sin (verse 1). We are engaged in the pursuit of God’s will, not our own (verse 2). We know the season for sinning is past (verse 3). We walk out of step with the world now (verse 4), and we endure the scorn of men (verses 4,5).
PRAYER: I declare I am an overcomer through Christ Jesus. Amen.