The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 13 June 2019 – God Knows
TOPIC: God Knows
READ: Psalms 10:1-8 King James Version (KJV)
- Why do You stand afar off, O Lord ? Why do You hide in times of trouble?
- The wicked in his pride persecutes the poor; Let them be caught in the plots which they have devised.
- For the wicked boasts of his heart’s desire; He blesses the greedy and renounces the Lord .
- The wicked in his proud countenance does not seek God; God is in none of his thoughts.
- His ways are always prospering; Your judgments are far above, out of his sight; As for all his enemies, he sneers at them.
- He has said in his heart, “I shall not be moved; I shall never be in adversity.”
- His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and oppression; Under his tongue is trouble and iniquity.
- He sits in the lurking places of the villages; In the secret places he murders the innocent; His eyes are secretly fixed on the helpless.
Yesterday, we saw David praising God. Today we see him protest and is seemingly angry with God. Why do you stand afar off, O Lord? Why do you hide from me in times of trouble? (verse 1). The psalmist is terrified at what he sees as the prosperity of the wicked. In verses 3-11, he recounts the evil ways of the wicked: the wicked is boastful, encourages greediness, haughty at heart and God’s laws are far from him. Like a lion under cover, he catches the helpless and drags him off in his net. His victims are crushed and they collapse under the weight of his wicked strength. Works Of The Flesh Vs The Fruit Of The Spirit – Anglican Communion 15 May 2019
The wicked, described above, represent the oppressors we have today. They are found everywhere, in public and private circles, and even in the house of God. However verse 14b suggests a way out. The oppressed must commit himself to God in prayer. You must note however that the way of the wicked is not hidden before God. Do not envy him because his end is terrible as you can see in Psalm 73:3- 18.
Prayer: Pray for those who oppress the poor in any form, that the Lord turn their hearts from their wicked ways.